Electric powered hydrofoil or eFoil for short had it’s global commercial debut mid 2018. Since then, this latest water sport tech innovation is attracting more and more people each day and eFoil surfing continues to advance.
What is a hydrofoil?
A hydrofoil is literally a wing that attaches underneath a boat or any kind of vessel. It acts the same way as the wing of an airplane; as the board moves through the water, it increases water pressure on the underside of the foil, decreases it on the upper side and when the board reaches a certain speed the foil lifts the board out of the water.
Electric hydrofoil, is of course, one powered by electric motor! Maybe this sounds like a small thing, but trust us, once you’ve felt it, you can’t unfeel it. Technically, you can hydrofoil with almost every watercraft: boats, surfboards, wind-surf boards, kite boards, and hydrofoil boards.
For more information on eFoil check out our .
Quick overview of eFoil history
- In a 2008 Master’s program in Naval Architecture at the KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Sweden had a task to create a new type of aquatic vehicle. The requirements were that this vehicle had to be silent, electric, not create wake and be able to carry one person at a speed of 15 knots. The first electric hydrofoil board was created by Professor Jacob Kuttenkeuler and a group of 15 students taking part in a project called EVOLO. Their concept was a weight-shift controlled board that was ridden in the kneeling position.
- After working on it for two semesters, they came up with the first electric hydrofoil, which was successfully demonstrated in the spring of 2009.
- Around 2016 as electric motors and batteries had developed to the point that the propulsion system could be light enough and powerful enough to be attached to the wing itself (under the water) and provide enough speed to lift the board, the idea of an electric motor hydrofoil board occurred to a few people. The first public breakthrough seems to have come in October of 2016 when Dan Montague (at the time head of R&D at the Naish International surf/wake/kiteboard company) put up a video on YouTube of him flying over the waters around Fiji.
- In January 2017, Liftfoils in Puerto Rico released a teaser video of their prototype.
- In October 2017, Fliteboard launched their website and as the product continued to be developed over the following months various updates were made showcasing some innovative technology such as a purpose-designed unibody fuselage (combining the motor and foil into one unit to improve stability and efficiency), a Flitebox with innovate heat-sink cooling system and custom wings specifically designed for eFoiling, as well as a reduction gearbox featuring 20 virtual gears and cruise control.
- In May 2018, Lift came to market with their version of the eFoil, which they began shipping later.
- Fliteboard began shipping their boards in June 2018.
Nowadays, there are many companies manufacturing eFoils, but so far, only a few have proved that their product is robust and reliable enough to withstand the harsh marine environment.
Why we operate with Flite and do fliteboarding lessons at LULL eFoil surfing school?
Flite creates through passion, design and innovation. Latest 2.2 series introduced in April 2022 testify to the constant drive to excellence offering the unforgettable ride!
Fliteboard 2.2 series - World's best ride, now quieter. More torque, less 'talk
Quiet electric motor won't disturb the environment
Guilt free zero emission propulsion system
Fly above the water without a splash
Environmentally friendly marine craft
Boards at LULL eFoil surfing school
High performance versatility
It’s no wonder Fliteboard is the most popular model. It planes early, making it easy to learn with, yet remains agile for advanced riders. Its modular design means you can teach friends the basics, then attach advanced wings to push your own performance.
Suitable for all experience levels.
Fliteboard makes it easy for anyone to foil. It’s buoyant enough for quick and stable aquaplaning, and easy enough for learners to manoeuvre. Whether the goal is to foil for the longest time, or track the fastest speed, it’s guaranteed fun for any age or skill.
- 173 cm (5’8”)
- 100 litres
- 12.8 kg
- early planning
- 75 cm eFoil mast
- for all riders
Built for the toughest adventures. Even learning.
Fliteboard AIR is made for learning and exploring. Because it’s inflatable, it’s compact enough to take anywhere with you, and thanks to its durability, it’s super stable and easy to foil with. Making it ideal for families, yachts and Fliteschools. Simply inflate and let the fun begin.
Light and strong.
Fliteboard AIR is durable and lightweight. It’s made from a PVC-coated, drop-stitch material that inflates up to 15-16 PSI for better buoyancy and paddling stability.
- 183 cm (6’0”)
- 164 litres
- 12.6 kg
- buoyant & stable
- rugged inflatable
- 60 cm eFoil mast
- beginner friendly